LUBBOCK, Texas – It’s that time of year where we pause to take a look back. As we near the Fourth of July holiday, the college baseball season was scheduled to crown a champion in Omaha one week ago.
A season full of hope and promise. Inevitable adversity. Opportunity for leaders to emerge. Unexpected heroes. Clutch at-bats. Moments of tension. Dogpiles. All of it leading to one of two things: heartbreak or glory.
The 2020 Red Raiders had their hearts set on reaching the mountaintop. Although the season was cut short due to COVID-19, the club continued moving the program forward.
Red Raider fans can certainly be proud as head coach Tim Tadlock has positioned the Red Raider baseball program – quite simply – as one of the premier programs in the nation.
The numbers back it up. Let’s begin.
- Texas Tech finished 2020 with at 16-3 overall. The Red Raiders were ranked No. 1 in the polls for the fourth time in program history (and first since 1997) on Feb. 17.
- Tech led the Big 12 and the state of Texas with three All-Americans in Brian Klein, Micah Dallas and Cal Conley.
- Tech also had three Freshman All-Americans to tie for the national lead as Cal Conley, Jace Jung and Nate Rombach earned honors.
- As a team, Tech led the nation in doubles and ranked in the top 10 nationally in scoring (4th), batting average (7th) and home runs (7th).
- Tech is one of three programs to reach the College World Series four of the last six postseasons.
- Back-to-back trips to Omaha in 2018 and 2019 for the first time in school history.
- Rip Griffin Park is the only stadium to host an NCAA Regional each of the last four postseasons.
BIG 12 HARDWARE
- Tech has won three of the last four Big 12 Championships (2016, 2017, 2019).
- A Red Raider has also been named Big 12 Player of the Year three of the last four years.
- Steven Gingery received Big 12 Pitcher of the Year honors in 2017.
- Two of the last three Big 12 Freshman of the Year in Josh Jung (2017) and Gabe Holt (2018).
- Since 2016, Tech has had 18 players voted All-Big 12 First Team, six more than the next closest school.
- Since 2016, Tech leads the conference with 35 players receiving All-Big 12 first, second or freshman team honors.
- Right-handers Clayton Beeter (CBB, Pick No. 66) and Bryce Bonnin (Round 3, Pick No. 84) became the highest Tech pitching duo every drafted in the 2020 Major League Baseball Draft.
- Beeter went from Tommy John surgery in 2017 to the sixth highest Red Raider ever drafted and the third highest pitcher.
- Tech ranks tied for second in the country in total draft picks since 2016 with 35.
- Tech has the third longest streak in the country with 30 straight years of multiple draft picks.
- In the last three years, Tech has had four players drafted in the first three rounds.
- Since 2015, 56% of Red Raider pitchers have been drafted.
- In 2019, Josh Jung was drafted No. 8 overall by the Texas Rangers to give Tech its second first-round pick in program history.
- 2014 Skip Bertman National Coach of the Year
- 2018 D1Baseball National Coach of the Year
- 2016 Big 12 Coach of the Year
- 2014, 2018, 2019 ABCA Midwest Region Coach of the Year
- 199 wins the last five seasons ranks third in the nation
- Top 25 recruiting classes every season as the skipper in Lubbock
- Three Top-10 classes
- Assistant J-Bob Thomas won the 2017 ABCA Assistant Coach of the Year
- Program record 3.77 spring GPA and 3.29 cumulative GPA (date dating back to 2017).
- Tech set a program record with 16 Academic All-Big 12 selections.
- Tech was one of four programs in the nation with three CoSIDA Academic All-District honorees.
- Tech had the only CoSIDA Academic All-American in the Big 12 and in the state in Braxton Fulford.
- Going back to 2016, Tech has won two NCAA Elite 90 Awards, given annually to the student-athlete with the highest GPA at the final site of the NCAA Championship. Tyler Floyd took home the honor in 2016 and Braxton Fulford won it in 2019.
- Red Raider fans can’t get enough of their Red Raiders as season tickets have sold out six years in a row
- Prior to the abbreviated 2020 season, Tech ranked Top 10 in total attendance three straight years
- Top 10 in interactions across Instagram, Twitter and Facebook for the shortened 2020 season (via SkullSparks)
Our three selections led the Big 12 and the state. ??
— Texas Tech Baseball (@TTU_Baseball) May 26, 2020
Our 3?? nods led the Big 12 and were tied for the most in the nation. ??
— Texas Tech Baseball (@TTU_Baseball) June 3, 2020
The ???? ballpark in the country to host an NCAA Regional each of the last four postseasons.
Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park
— Texas Tech Baseball (@TTU_Baseball) May 28, 2020
Put ’em on the board.
— Texas Tech Baseball (@TTU_Baseball) June 30, 2020
1?6? Academic All-Big 12 honorees. Congrats to this group on all their hard work! ??
— Texas Tech Baseball (@TTU_Baseball) May 13, 2020
The streak continued in the 2020 #MLBDraft. ??
— Texas Tech Baseball (@TTU_Baseball) June 18, 2020
Congrats to Braxton on being one of 33 players across the country named to the @CoSIDAAcadAA Team!
The LBK native is the only honoree from the Big 12 and the state.
— Texas Tech Baseball (@TTU_Baseball) June 11, 2020
One of four DI programs in the ???????????? with 3+ Academic All-District selections.
Not bad company either. ?
Congrats to Clayton, Braxton and Brian!
— Texas Tech Baseball (@TTU_Baseball) May 14, 2020
College baseball Facebook accounts generating the most interactions (reactions+comments+shares) this shortened 2020 season (Feb 14-March 12). pic.twitter.com/DRy3agQVs6
— SkullSparks (@SkullSparks) March 25, 2020